Thursday, August 13, 2015

One Week Later, Everything Is Still Delicious

First of all, I'm sorry for the late post. As you've probably guessed, we've been extremely during our time here in Thailand and it has been pretty much business, eat, sleep, and repeat. I also had my "I forgot something in America..." moment...for my laptop charger. I'll do my best to post off my phone, but it is frustratingly slow.

So where do I even begin? We've done so much in the past week that it's all starting to blur together. We've seen so many sights, done so many things, and met so many amazing people. I feel like it would take a multitude of posts just to describe everything we've done this week, and I do intend to post more regarding all that we've learned here.

...but I promised a food post. You're getting a food post. I guess I'll just start where Mai left off, since even though she made that post on Saturday, we've had A LOT more Thai food since then.

But first, something of a disclaimer: I can't post pictures from my phone. I'll post pictures later when Chris avails his laptop and I can upload pictures then.

Let's start with a dish after my own heart (health?):  a noodle bowl made with pork's blood broth. As someone of Filipino descent, I've had my fair share of pork's blood in dishes like dinuguan,  which is pork cooked in pork's blood. It has a dark brown color and a distinct irony taste, which can make it very off-putting to a lot of people, including many Filipinos. While I do enjoy these foods, I was surprised at how well the taste of the pork's blood was masked. Nothing in the bowl tasted like blood at all, and everything had a pleasant spicy kick to it. If I hadn't been full from lunch, I definitely would have had more than just 2 bowls. I recommend it to people who have been turned off to the taste of pork's blood in the past or if you're just curious to see what it's like to eat it.


Next, we ate bugs. Special shout out to our friends from the Huachiew University Faculty of Pharmacy for providing us with insects for eating. For this little snack, we had fat little fried worms. While not the most appetizing of the food items we've tried so far, it really wasn't bad. The worm had a very pasty texture and tasted a lot like a soybean. I hear the crickets we bought were delicious too, but I'll let Chris talk about that.


A little later in the week, we had the opportunity to eat in Thailand's Chinatown. While we ate our dinner, Supranee's aunt brought us what was arguably the tastiest thing at the table: goose feet. If you think this would just taste like chicken feet, you'd be right, but with the additional benefit of having more meat thanks to the webbing between the toes. The goose feet were also incredibly tender, with toes falling off at the slightest bite.


For those of you who might not be as adventurous in your eating habits, we've also tried some foods on the tamer side. We had the chance to try both red and yellow curry, and they taste much better than what you can find in America. Both are more flavorful, with red curry having a nice spicy kick and yellow curry having a much bolder taste than other yellow curries I've had to eat. We've also had Thai tea many, many times. We can't help it, its just so much tastier here.


There's still plenty of time to try more food, and I'm excited to see what we'll be having over the course of the next few days. If we have time, I might make another food post. Until then...Go Team Arizona Food Fighters! (thanks, Mai!)

- Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment