Monday, July 27, 2015

Just a THAI-ny Bit Excited!!

At work, I sit next to a pharmacy technician who is originally from Thailand. Her stories from her time spent in Thailand continue to build my excitement to go and create some of my own adventures.  Her accounts along with travel sites and friend recommendations have given me a list of things to do while in Thailand, but I am most excited to experience the unique culture for myself. One of my favorite things to try while in a new country is food. I love food, but I am nervous that I will accidentally order something too spicy and get sick or get sick from eating something not cooked properly. I am also very excited to see the famous transgender culture but I am also concerned with being approached by someone unfriendly late at night.

One of the Thai pharmacy practices that the technician told me about was the fact that most medications do not require a prescription (except for controlled substances).  I find this practice very confusing and wonder how chronic disease states are managed if seeing a doctor is not required for a prescription.  I am also curious to learn about herbal medicine practices.

Overall, I expect that this trip will be unlike any other trip abroad I've had and will be very culturally shocking. I hope to gain knowledge of the unique pharmacy, cultural, and social practices as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment